Saturday, January 17, 2009

what the dickens


The inquest was over, the letter was public, the Bank was broken, the other model structures of straw had taken fire and were turned to smoke. The admired piratical ship had blown up, in the midst of a vast fleet of ships of all rates, and boats of all sizes; and on the deep was nothing but ruin: nothing but burning hulls, bunting magazines, great guns self-exploded tearing friends and neighbours to pieces, drowning men clinging to unseaworthy spars and going down every minute, spent swimmers, floating dead, and sharks. Little Dorrit.

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger jonhusband said...

Interesting .. parts of Little Dorrit are mentioned here and there in Margaret Atwood's latest (and in my opinion compelling) book titled "Payback - Debt and the Shadow Side of Wealth". It's a paperback publication of the CBC's 2008 Massey Lectures.

She takes us on a fascinating journey through the concept of debt in various forms throughout the ages. She uses etymology and classic literature to expose and examine the various ways humans have used debt over the year, and what was intended by that use.

Here's an interesting review of the book by William Skidelsky in the Guardian.

1/18/2009 1:50 PM  
Blogger Tom Matrullo said...

Thanks very much, Jon - looks like they've forgotten to take down the free podcasts. I'll try to listen before Jobs gets his mitts on them, and, yes, I am in your debt.

1/18/2009 1:59 PM  
Blogger jonhusband said...

BTW, I did read the book. My dad lent it to me over the Christmas period.

I basically agree with the Guardian reviewer, tho' I think I am a bit more charitable. Probably 'cuz Atwood is a fellow canuck and 'cuz I am impressed by the approach she took and the obvious erudition on display.

1/18/2009 2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home